Constitution and By-laws of the Hoboken Cricket Club
Article 1 Title
This club referred to herein shall be known as Hoboken Cricket Club and hereinafter shall be referred to as HCC. It shall consist of all fully paid members of the Organization
Article 2 Objectives
The objectives of HCC shall be:
- The promotion advancement and protection of the interests of cricket in Hoboken New Jersey and surrounding areas.
- The promotion of a multi cultural club with an emphasis on the enjoyment and full participation by all members,
- The provision of a social outlet through the organization of social events.
Article 3 Offices
The principal office of the HCC for the transaction of business shall be located in New Jersey USA.
Article 4 Membership
4.01 Classes of membership
Membership shall be open to any person interested in playing cricket in the New Jersey area
Applicants shall be admitted to membership upon (a) approval by the Executive Committee and (b) the payment of any membership fees or dues.
4.03 Fees, Assessments
- The Membership fees payable to HCC by each member shall be determined annually at HCC’s Annual General Meeting. The amount and the date by which the fees or dues shall be determined at that Meeting. The Membership fees are effective from April 1st each year and are payable by 1 April.
- Assessments: Member are subject to assessments which may be levied and collected in an amount and in a manner as may be determined from time to time by a Executive Committee
- Members failing to pay fees or dues shall not be allowed to participate in any of the clubs activities,. Fees are non-refundable and non transferable
4.05 Membership List
HCC shall keep a membership list containing the contact details including email fax and telephone number, address of each member. This shall be maintained by the Secretary and or the website administrator. On payment of fees new members must supply their contact details.
4.06 Non Liability of Members
No member of this Club shall be personally liable for the debts, liabilities or obligations of the Club.
4.07 Termination of Membership
Any member may resign at any time upon the delivery of a written request to the President and Secretary of the Club. Fees are non-refundable
- Failure to pay Fees, Assessments, Fines
The membership of any member shall automatically be terminated upon failure of payments of Fees Assessments or Fines within the specified time period.
Article 5 Structure of Club
5.01 Basic Structure
HCC shall be governed by members as defined Article 4.01, which shall elect the Executive Committee of the Club. Each member shall have one vote at any general meeting.
5.02 Meetings of the Members
- Regular meeting of the members shall be held a minimum of four times a year, one of these being the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and at least two others being held during the cricket season.
- The AGM shall be held by the end of the first week of November at a time and place decided by the Executive Committee. Proposals other than those related to changes in the Constitution and by-laws and the Standing Rules, shall be carried by a 2/3majority of members
- Special Meetings of the members shall be held whenever called by the President or on receipt by the Secretary of the Club of a request signed by at least 4 members. Notice of Special meeting and its agenda shall be circulated to all members at least 4days before the date of the meeting. No resolution shall be carried without a two-third vote of those present and eligible to vote. No other business except that indicated on the agenda shall be dealt with.
- Notice of member meeting shall be given in writing by the secretary of the Club to each Director by mail email fax at least 7 days before the date of the meeting. Notice of the AGM shall be given at least 14 days and not more that 50 days before the meeting dates.
- Quorum:. A quorum shall consist of 6 members(not including members of the Executive Committee). Unless a greater number is expressly required by these by-laws every act or decision done or made by the majority of those present at a meeting at which a quorum is present shall be the act of the members .There is to be no voting by proxy.
- Conduct of meetings: The President, or in his absence the Vice President, shall act as Chairman at Board meetings.
Article 6 Executive Committee
6.01 Numbers and Titles
“The officers of HCC shall be President Vice President, Secretary, Fixtures Secretary, PRO Sponsorship/Media, PRO New Members/Social and Equipment Officer”
6.02 Qualifications, Election and Terms of Office
- Any member is eligible to be an officer of Committee
- Candidates shall be nominated by members at the Annual General Meeting who in turn shall review the qualifications and experience of the candidates. Appointments shall be made based on the candidate’s ability to execute the duties set forth in 6.06-6.12.
- Executive officers shall be elected every year at the Annual General Meeting
6.03 Functions of the Executive Officers
The officers shall deal with all the administrative matters of the club. The administrative matters shall consist of routine HCC business activities, including correspondence, accounting, collection of fees, reimbursements, insurance matters, schedules of games, organization of social events and functions, announcements and preparation of notices. It shall also deal with all matters concerning umpires, grounds and general facilities and shall transact any business delegated to it by the members. Executive Officers shall not amend or suspend any provision of the Constitution and By-laws, the standing rules of the Club or motions passed by a vote of the Members.
6.04 Removal and Resignation
Any officer may be removed for good cause (as determined by the Executive Comittee) by a vote of the majority of the members at a Special meeting The motion to remove an officer shall be promulgated in the notice of the meeting and shall be a Special Order of that meeting. The members must vote by a majority of two thirds to remove the officer. Any officer may resign at any given time by giving written notice to the President or Secretary of the Club.
Any vacancy in the Executive Committee shall be filled by election at the next regular meeting or at a Special meeting of the Membership except that the Board may at its discretion defer replacement of the President until the next Annual General Meeting. Election of officers at a Special Meeting shall be by a 2/3 majority.
The Executive Committee shall meet periodically as necessary to conduct the business of the Club, at the discretion of the President. Notice of meeting shall be as provided as per Article 5.06 here-in. Members shall be entitled to attend all Executive Committee meetings.
6.07 Duties of the President
- The President shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Club and shall, in general, supervise and control the affairs of the Club. He shall perform all duties incident to the office and such other duties that may be required by law, by the Articles of Club, by these By-laws, and which may be prescribed from time to time by the Membership
- The President shall preside at all HCC meetings. He shall be an ex-officio member of all committees and sub committees. Unless he is unable to attend, he shall act as moderator of all meetings of the Membership.
- The President shall provide leadership of the club and shall strive at all times to ensure the enjoyment of the game by all participants.
6.08 Duties of the Vice President
In the absence of the President, the Vice President shall perform all the duties of the President, and when so acting , shall have all the powers of, and be subject to all the restrictions of the President.
6.09 Duties of the Secretary
The Secretary shall
- Certify the by-laws. Certify and keep the original, or a copy, of these by-laws as amended
- Keep a book of the minutes of all meetings of the members and Executive Committe recording there in the time place of holding, whether a Regular or Special meeting and if Special how authorized. The record shall include the manner and date of the notice there-of, the names of the Members and Executive officers present and the proceedings thereof.Ensure that all notices of meetings and their agenda are duly given in accordance with the provision of these by-laws.
- Maintain the membership list as prescribed in Article 4.05, here in.
- Exhibit at all reasonable times to any Member, the by-laws, and the minutes of the meetings of the Executive Committee/Membership
- Circulate minutes of meetings. Minutes are to be available within 7days. If no objections they are to be adopted automatically.
- Obtain and keep all permits and necessary documents as the relevant league merits.
- In general, perform all duties incident to the Office of the Secretary as required by these By-laws and which may be assigned from time to time by the Board.
6.10 Duties of the Treasurer
- The Treasurer is responsible for keeping an accurate financial record of all receipts, disbursements, assets liabilities and retained earnings.
- The Treasurer is responsible for filing proper adequate and complete tax returns where required under federal, state and city laws. He shall seek to maintain the non profit status under section 501 (c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code
- The Treasurer may not borrow money or issue funds or checks except as he is authorized to do so by these By-laws or the membership and/or executive committee. All checks disbursing Club funds must be signed, by the Treasurer or the President.
- At each Executive Committee/ Membership Meeting the Treasurer shall present a brief written report on the finances of the Club, he shall answer all questions on financial matters.
- At the Annual General Meeting the treasurer shall present a complete and detailed financial report showing all disbursements and receipts of the Club for the preceding year. Upon acceptance of the report by the Board, it shall be countersigned by the President.
- Treasurer shall send to the membership where applicable, notice of annual membership fees and any assessments fixed by the Membership All such fees and Assessments shall be payable within 30 days of invoice. From time to time the Treasurer shall send out notices of assessments as prescribed by the Executive Committee
- The Treasurer shall maintain complete, accurate and current books relating to the financial status of the Club. These books may be inspected at all reasonable times by an Officer of the Club or a Member.
6.11 Duties of the Fixtures Secretary
- The Fixtures Secretary is responsible for the preparation of match fixtures and schedules for al games HCC is involved in
- The Fixture Secretary shall be responsible for the collection of score sheets of all matches played in the respective divisions and the computation and promulgation of the league standings and players statistics. The Fixtures Secretary has the right to appoint a member to help in this regard
6.12 Duties of the Public Relations Officer (PRO)
There shall be two Public Relations Officers divided as follows PRO Sponsorship and PRO New Membership/Social/Media
- The PRO’s are responsible for all media promotion of the HCC . The PRO’s are authorized to act on behalf of the Club in dealing with Newspapers TV radio and other forms of mass communication. The PRO’s are responsible for attracting New members, and organizing all social events organized by the club.The PRO shall be responsible for maintaining the web site of the Club and can appoint experts to help in this regard.
- The PRO position shall be divided into three positions a)PRO-new membership b)PRO-media and communication c)PRO-sponsorship
6.13 Duties of the Equipment Officer
“The Equipment officer shall be responsible for the inventory maintenance and general upkeep of all Hoboken Cricket Clubs playing equipment. The Equipment Officer will be responsible for a coherent and responsive strategy to care, replacement, and acquisition of all cricket equipment. The equipment officer and the Treasurer will be guided by the committee in this regard.”
Article 7 Committees
7.01 Ad Hoc Committee
Ad Hoc Committees for specific purposes or activities may be appointed from time to time by the Executive Committee.
7.02 Disciplinary Committee
The executive committee shall refer all disciplinary matters to the members Any dispute will be dealt with by a 2/3 majority vote of the membership
7.03 Disciplinary Committee
The Executive Committee shall appoint a selection committee to pick the weekend teams. This committee shall consist of President/Vice President, 1st XI Captain and 2nd XI Captain. The selection committee shall convene at a time or via email as prescribed by the Executive Committee.
Article 8 Prohibited Activities
No part of the net earnings of this Club shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its members, directors, officers, or other private persons, except that the Club shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered. No substantial part of the activities of the corporation shall be in carrying on propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the corporation shall not participate or intervene in any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provisions of these articles, the corporation shall not carry on nay other activities not permitted to be carried on by an Club exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Article 9 Distribution of Assets upon Dissolution
Upon dissolution of HCC, the members shall, after paying or making provision for the payment of all the liabilities of the Club, dispose of all of the assets of the Club exclusively for the the purposes of the Club in such a manner , or to such organization that shall qualify as an exempt organization under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code as the Membership shall determine, or to federal, state or local governments to be used exclusively for public purposes. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by the Superior Court of the County in which the principal office of the Club is then located, exclusively for such purposes or such organizations as the court shall decide
Article 10 Constitution to be binding on members
Each member f the HCC on being admitted shall be furnished with a copy of the Constitution of the Club and shall thereupon become bound thereby. By accepting membership each member recognizes the HCC as the final tribunal on all matters concerning the game of cricket and shall obey all its decisions.
Article 11 Affiliations
The HCC may affiliate with other cricketing bodies in the USA and elsewhere if deemed to be in the best interest of the HCC.
Article 12 By-laws
These By-laws shall become effective immediately upon their adoption. Amendments to these By-laws shall become effective immediately upon their adoption .
Subject to any limitations imposed by the provision of law applicable to the amendment of By-laws of non-profit organizations, these By-laws may be amended as follows:
By a two thirds vote of the membership at any Regular meeting or Special Meeting at which a quorum is present. Written notice of such meetings in accordance with Article 5.06 herein shall state the intent to amend the By-laws and shall include the full text of each proposed amendment.
12.03 Certification and Inspection
The original or a copy of the By-laws as amended to date, certified by the Secretary of the Club shall be kept in the principal offices of the Club, and shall be open to inspection by the members at all reasonable times. A copy of the By-laws and amendments shall be provided to all members